Director of Housing Operations, Angela Johnson

Our Communities

Pleasant Homes- Opelika 
(Kenyatta Johnson, Property Manager) (
(Pleasant Circle, Plum Avenue)
316 Pleasant Drive, Opelika, Alabama
Office (334) 741-7466 Fax (334) 741-4216
Pleasant Homes - Camp Hill 
(Kenyatta Johnson, Property Manager) (
(Church Court, Henderson Drive, Newell Avenue, Church Avenue)
125 Henderson Drive, Camp Hill, Alabama
Office (256) 896-4138  Fax (256) 896-4138

Antioch Homes
(Derric Baker, Property Manager) (
(Toomer Court, Cherry Circle, W.E. Morton Avenue, North & South Antioch Circles)
1706 Toomer Street, Opelika, Alabama
Office (334) 745-2896 Fax (334) 745-6783

Hyatt Homes
(Karen Keith, Property Manager) (
(Samford Court, Fruitwood Circle, Raintree Street, Maple Avenue,
Chester Avenue, Alice Place, Potter Court)
1202 Samford Place, Opelika, Alabama
Office (334) 745-7537 Fax (334) 741-9236

The Property Managers are responsible for the daily management of all properties. Any concerns should be s


What is income?
Annual income is the anticipated total income from all sources received by the family head and spouse (even if temporarily absent) and by each additional member of the family over 18 and not a full-time student. This includes all income derived from assets for the 12 month period following the effective date of certification of income.

Is income verified?
All income must be verified. Some sources of income include wages, social security, supplemental security income, child support, TANF, family support, pensions, and asset income. If unreported income is found, this can result in termination of housing assistance.

What deductions are allowed?

What is total tenant payment?
Total tenant payment is the highest of the following (rounded to the nearest dollar):

What is adjusted income?
Adjusted income is annual income less deductions according to HUD instructions.

Do I have to report all changes in my family's income?

Yes! Your rent is based on your adjusted family income. Your are required to let your manager know when there is a change in:

Depending on the change, your rent may go up or down. If you do not report these changes within 10 days, you may lose your housing.


Enterprise Income Verification System is a system that enables the management to get information about any Multi-Family resident or Section 8 participantís income. The purpose of HUDís EIV (Enterprise Income Verification) System is to make income data available from one source, through the Internet, for HUD programs to use to improve income verification during the time any resident come in for their annual recertification interview. EIV provides the following information:

Paying Rent

How is rent calculated?
You are charged a monthly rent that is based on 30 percent of your adjusted household income or 10 percent of your gross household income. The rent is calculated according to federal regulations.
In order to rent a unit, you must sign a written lease. It shows the amount of rent you must pay, what management will provide and what you are expected to do.

When is rent due?
Your rent is due on the first day of each month. If you do not pay your rent by the 5th of the month, you will have a late charge added to your account and there may be legal proceedings to collect the money you owe and/or regain possession of your apartment. If the 5th falls on the weekend or a holiday, late charges will not be added until after the first working day following the 5th.

How and where do I pay rent? 
Cash is not accepted. Your check or money order may be dropped at the Property Manager's office.

Will my rent be changed every year?
Your rent may be changed any time your income or family size changes. In a few situations, earned income will not result in an increase in your rent. Your income and family composition must be checked at least once a year, even if there are no changes. The details are explained in your lease.

What happens if I give false or incomplete information?
If you knowingly give false or incomplete information or answers to questions about your income, family size or similar matters, management will seek eviction, back charges and possibly criminal prosecution. Information you provide must be truthful, accurate and up to date at all times. Management verifies all income with employers. Be sure to report all changes in income or family size to your Property Manager within 10 days from the date of change.


Are vehicles required to be registered?
No, but all vehicles must have a current license plate and be in operating condition.

How can I prevent traffic accidents in my complex?
Don't drive faster than the posted speed limits and be very alert when driving through the properties. Be alert for children playing and for elderly or handicapped people who depend on your careful driving for their safety. You should especially observe speed zones posted within complexes where children often play.

Where should I park my car or truck?
There are no designated parking spaces. Common courtesy and neighborly concern should be used when parking vehicles. Streets and paved lots on the property are used for parking vehicles. If you park your car or truck on the grounds, on sidewalks, blocking fire lanes or in any other illegal place, it may be towed at your expense without warning. You will be charged for any damage to the property caused by careless driving or parking on the grounds.

Can I wash my vehicle on the property?
Residents are not allowed to wash vehicles on the properties.

What about inoperable vehicles?
Inoperable vehicles are not allowed to be on the property. You should report abandoned or inoperable vehicles to your Property Manager. A warning notice will be put on the vehicle and if it is not moved, it will be towed at the owner's expense.

Can I repair my vehicle on the property?
No, you may not make major repairs to your motor vehicle on the property.

What about my guest's vehicle?
There are no designated parking spaces. Residents should advise their visitors to park in areas that their neighbors normally do not use.


Why have a clean house?
A clean house helps keep your family healthy, makes you proud of your home, sets a good example for children and their friends, helps things last longer, helps you find things, and is safer.

What is considered good housekeeping?
You are expected to keep a clean and orderly home. Good housekeeping makes your home last longer, helps prevent fires and keeps insects and other pests away. You are expected to:

Cleaning tips for residents.
The following cleaning tips are intended to help make your daily cleaning easier.

What happens if I'm a poor housekeeper?
If your home is dirty, cluttered or otherwise shows poor housekeeping, you will be warned to correct the problems right away. You may also be required to go to special classes to learn better housekeeping habits. If the problem is not corrected, you may be evicted under your lease agreement for failure to maintain your unit for repairs.

Can I have a pet?
No pets are allowed.


Why are some residents evicted?
As long as any resident fails to pay rent, destroys property, or violates their lease, management must seek eviction to keep housing in decent condition for the majority of residents who follow the rules.

There are two types of eviction:

What are serious lease violations?
Failure to report changes in income or family size accurately and/or timely, destruction of property, keeping unauthorized pets, poor housekeeping habits, fighting, displaying weapons, or threatening the health and safety of other residents and staff are all serious lease violations that can result in eviction.

What about illegal drug use or alcohol abuse?
Management will evict residents who engage in illegal drug use or drug-related criminal activity will be evicted. Residents can also be evicted for alcohol abuse if they adversely affect their neighbors. Residents who violate their lease in this manner will be notified of their violation in writing and will receive a 14-day notice of lease termination.

What happens if I don't pay rent?
After the last day for the payment of rent, the 5th of each month or the first working day after the 5th, a notice of lease termination/demand for possession is sent to all residents who have not paid their rent and/or other charges on time. This is called a 14-day Notice of Termination of Tenancy/Demand for Possession Notice. After this time expires and payment has not been received, management will continue with the eviction process through the court. All legal fees and court costs incurred will be added to your account. The Sheriff's Department will serve you with the eviction notices stating a time frame you will need to respond in order to receive a court hearing. Failure to respond or after court hearing and judgment is given for possession of the housing unit to management, management has the right to remove the resident and the belongings from the apartment with a representative from the Sheriff's Department present.

Don't let this happen to you! Please pay all rent and charges promptly so that you do not have to go to court and then pay extra charges.

RESIDENT HOTLINE - (334) 704-0072

All of our residents are encouraged to call the Resident Hotline to make management aware of any situation that requires our attention. You may leave messages regarding concerns or suggestions for improving our community. Your message may include but is not limited to:


Why does management have to inspect my housing unit?

Federal regulations require management to inspect your home:

Management also has the right to inspect a unit and will conduct special inspections between regular annual inspections. You will normally be given at least two days before an inspector visits, unless an emergency exists.

What kinds of decorating are allowed in my home?

You are welcome to add personal touches to your home, but certain permanent or damaging changes cannot be allowed at all or must be restricted. Here are some basic guidelines:

Remember, you will be charged for all repairs required to fix the unit for the next resident, except for normal wear and tear.

Can I install appliances and similar equipment?
You may install an air conditioner, washer or dryer only if suitable water supply fixtures, electrical service, exhaust vent and drains already exist. Please check with management before installing any major item.

Can I install a satellite dish?
No satellite dish is allowed on property.

May I have a waterbed?
No! Because of possible damage to the unit, waterbeds are not permitted.

Home Protection

Crime Prevention is defined is the anticipation, recognition, and appraisal of a crime risk, and the initiation of some action to remove or reduce it. You can have a significant effect upon the security of your residence by taking a few moments to assess its weaknesses and a few more moments to take simple actions to eliminate or strengthen those weaknesses. Keeping your residence neat and clean, in good repair, and giving the appearance of being home is the first fundamental step toward preventing crime there.

The second fundamental step toward home crime prevention is to be a good neighbor. Get to know your neighbors and their habits to the extent that you can recognize deviations from normal behavior (and they can do the same for you). Call the police when you observe a stranger behaving in a suspicious manner (loitering and observing, approaching multiple residences without apparent business, or removing property from a neighbor's residence). A cooperative neighborhood can increase everyone's collective home security with very little individual effort or time.

A third fundamental step is to take prompt action to address maintenance problems affecting your security; report burnt-out lights, uncollected trash, graffiti, broken windows, defective security systems and other conditions which detract from the secure appearance of your residence promptly to the appropriate authorities for correction.

Finally, make an effort to cooperate with and support your law enforcement provider. Introduce yourself to the officers who patrol your neighborhood; participate in organized resident meetings and programs. In order to "protect your home", you have to learn to "think like a thief". Consider how a criminal might attack you, your home, or your belongings, and eliminate as many of the opportunities or vulnerable points as you can. When you've done your best, ask a trusted friend to try the same thing. When you've addressed any new problems your friend points out, then consider asking your local law enforcement provider whether they conduct home security surveys; if they do, schedule one.

Consider how your name appears on public listings like telephone directories; it is generally considered prudent for females not to list their first name, but instead to list a first initial and last name. While unlisting your telephone number costs extra with some providers, the privacy may be worth the cost. Bear in mind, however, that unlisting your number will not prevent random malicious calls or telephone solicitation.

The single best protection against theft loss is to mark every piece of property you own as yours. Recording the serial numbers and other identifiers during the marking process helps ensure that you can positively identify your property if it is taken and subsequently recovered, or that you can prove ownership if there is some question. Almost any article can be marked in some manner. You should keep an inventory of your personal property in a safe place (definitely not in or with the property) so that in the event of theft or other loss, you have the information needed to make a police report and/or an insurance claim.

All residents are encouraged to purchase Renter's Insurance.